KTZ8868: Delivers big performance in a tiny package by integrating an 8-Channel 40V Backlight with LCD Bias in a protection-rich solution
San Jose, Calif. – January 9, 2024 – Power management and video/audio interface leader, Kinetic Technologies, is expanding its display power solutions portfolio with the introduction of KTZ8868. This device is a highly efficient 8-channel LED backlight driver with current sinks, up to a 40V boost voltage, while its 250mA bias output current can drive high resolution and high refresh rated LCDs.
The high switching frequency of the KTZ8868 allows the use of a smaller inductor and capacitor, resulting in a simpler and smaller solution with fewer external components. The input operating range is from 2.7V to 5.5V, accommodating 1-cell lithium-ion batteries or a 5V supply.
Vice President of Marketing at Kinetic Technologies, Jeff Gray, stated, “With design engineers looking for ways to reduce footprint space for their next generation tablets, POS terminals and other mid-sized displays, our leading-edge KTZ8868 driver provides a worry-free solution that integrates what used to be three ICs into one small chip. This device is like no other on the market, powering 80 LEDs with its protection-rich, robust features wrapped in a tiny package.”
These built-in protection features of the KTZ8868 include inductor current limit protection, output short circuit protection, output over-voltage protection, LED fault (open or short) protection and thermal shutdown protection.
The very small KTZ8868 is available in a RoHS and green compliant WQFN55-32L (5mm x 5mm, 32 Lead) package that integrates an 8-channel backlight driver and 250mA LCD bias into one chip.
KTZ8868 is available and shipping now. Visit Kinetic Technologies for more information.
Product features include:
Backlight LED Driver
- Wide input range: 2.7V to 5.5V
- High efficiency step-up LED driver with 8-Ch current sinks, up to 40V boost voltage
- Up to 30mA/Ch in backlight mode
- ±0.7% current matching at 20mA
- ±2.2% current accuracy at 20mA
- I2C/PWM dual dimming control scheme
- High resolution I2C 11-bit linear or exponential dimming
- Wide range PWM dimming
- 100Hz to 100kHz frequency range
- 0.2% to 100% duty cycle at 20kHz
- Programmable current sink turn on/off ramp time/shape and transition ramp up/down time
- 1.0MHz typical boost switching frequency
- Programmable input PWM hysteresis to minimize jitter at low PWM duty cycle
- Programmable OVP and current limitation
- LED open/short protection
LCD Panel Bias
- Wide input range: 2.7V to 5.5V
- Programmable dual output Bias regulator using a single inductor
- Programmable ramp time for OUTP and OUTN
- Charge pump PFM mode at light load
- LCD Bias efficiency: up to 85%
- Wide dual output voltage range ±4.0V to ±6.3V (50mV/step) & output current up to 250mA at VIN ≥ 2.9V
- Active output discharge function
- Current limitation and short protection
- System level input UVLO
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Low shutdown current <1μA
- Flexible I2C interface
- Pb-free package: WQFN55-32L (5mm x 5mm, 32 Lead)
- RoHS and green compliant
- -40°C to +85°C temperature range
About Kinetic Technologies
Kinetic Technologies designs, develops and markets proprietary high-performance analog and mixed-signal power and protection semiconductors across consumer, communications, industrial, automotive and enterprise markets that deliver protected solutions tolerant of real-world fault conditions. The company’s products sit “Behind Every Port™”, deliver solutions to not only provide, protect, regulate, and monitor power consumed by analog and digital semiconductors and other electronic loads, but to also switch, transform and protect high resolution video, audio and data signals. Kinetic Technologies develops application-specific products that solve audio-video interface, protection, and power management needs across smartphones, tablets and wearables, as well as serving a wide range of industrial, automotive and enterprise solutions. Kinetic Technologies, a Cayman Corporation, has R&D centers in Silicon Valley and Asia, with operations and logistics based in Asia. For more information, please visit http://www.kinet-ic.com/.
*The Kinetic Technologies logo is a trademark of Kinetic Technologies. All other brand and product names appearing in this document are the property of their respective holders.